Friday 3 July 2009

EPPING FOREST MP ELEANOR LAING ON EXPENSES

Conservative Party Leader, David Cameron MP, has this week written to Epping Forest MP, Eleanor Laing, thanking for all she has done “to help the Party to respond to public anger over MPs’ expenses.” Mr. Cameron went on to say: “You have my complete support, and I and trust that you will receive the full support of your friends and colleagues, and of your Association.” To see a copy of the letter, please click here.

In an interview with Everything Epping Forest this week, Mrs Laing has explained: "I am very concerned about some of the inaccurate reports which have appeared in the media and have been passed round by word of mouth here in Epping Forest concerning my 'expenses' as an MP. I have never claimed anything improperly. I have been fortunate to have an allowance from the House of Commons which has paid a part of the mortgage interest for my flat in London. I know that some people think that I should commute daily from Epping to Westminster. I have to explain, however, that I am usually in the House of Commons from about 9.30am to 10.30pm on Mondays and Tuesdays and from 9.30am until about 8pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I could, of course, travel back to Epping every night but I think I can be a much more effective MP by not spending 12 hours per week travelling. When I first went into Parliament the hours were much longer. We usually sat until well after midnight Monday to Thursday.”

Mrs Laing added: "My son was born some years after I became a Member of Parliament and I have come to realise that if I could not provide somewhere for him to live near the House of Commons he simply would not see his mummy from Monday morning until Thursday night. As I am now divorced my son also has to be somewhere where his daddy can come to see him as often as possible. If I had no flat in London and my son lived in Epping he would see neither of his parents on a regular basis. Because of Labour’s enormous majority, the Government has reduced the number of hours that Parliament spends scrutinising Government business. After the next General Election, whichever party wins, I expect that there will be a very small majority and therefore far more votes and we are likely to have to sit until well after midnight again. I have decided, however, out of respect for the fact that many of my constituents commute daily to London, that I will no longer claim second home allowance. As far as Capital Gains Tax is concerned, I will, of course, pay it should I one day sell my house in Theydon Bois. If the HMRC rules and House of Commons rules had been different, at the time when I sold the flat last year, I would have done things differently. But last year I certainly did not break any rules. I do not owe any tax and contrary to reports in the newspapers, David Cameron has not 'ordered' me to pay any money to anyone. I have decided voluntarily to pay the equivalent of last year's second homes allowance back to the House of Commons authorities because I think this is the morally correct thing to do. I am very pleased to have received a letter from David Cameron supporting the position I have taken.”

Mrs. Laing has also answered questions about why she did not support a proposal last year which was reported to ‘reform the expense system’. She explained that the motion was brought forward by the Liberal Democrats and an alternative motion was tabled by Conservative MPs which included an auditing clause to ensure better scrutiny of expense claims. Mrs. Laing also stated that she had disclosed all of her expenses a whole year prior to the Telegraph raising the matter in their newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment